Please note this is a work in
If you have any more news
this, please msg ttol on EFnet. Any
corrections or mistakes
please let me
ALL SITES UNRELATED TO BUSTS HAVE
BEEN REMOVED FOR THEIR
- erupt and doc-x busted, lived in miami, there was a miami warrant executed
and they are both dod members in miami
- iNSiGHT (rls group) temp down
- police investigations on a large campus network (polytechnic of
pohjoissavo) ( pspt.fi multiple 100mbit sites )
- sui not arrested, just took his computer
- corrected: thraxis was queensland not melbourne .au
- 2 polish cracking groups busted (CookieCrK and AAoCG)
was www.cookiecrk.org. As of now, you can still search for it on
www.google.com and see the cached site (it listed cracking tools)
site was www.aaocg.prv.pl. As of now, you can still search for it on
www.google.com and see the cached site (it listed cracking tools)
- Matsmad Former FTS Member, EYM Founder, from UK got busted by having 340
CDs and Police watching his computer for 12 hours!
- ^stealth, guy from oregon, got busted. he did ps2 and game iso's. 3
federal agents and 2 deputies took away his computer. he had 6 terabytes of
- take a look at http://www.internettrafficreport.com/#graphs -- internet
traffic dropped 50% since raids
- confirmed story surrounding bigrar and a former associate:
at the economics department back in july of 2001. I started working with 5
other northeastern university students in the systems administration
department. One of which was Chris Tresco, the member of DoD.
were a great bunch of people, really friendly, and down-to-earth. Summer is
pretty slow at MIT because not too much goes on besides grad student work.
The first day of work i went through an "initiation" in which we went out
to eat at the "Cheesecake Factory" resturant in Cambridge, a very posh
resturant. My initiation was to select the appetizers for the rest of the
department, if they liked my choices then i would become a part of the group,
otherwise... i don't know. The talk around the table focused on our manager
Lisa talking about an ex-employee who used to screw around with rather ugly
women, and how he was a man-whore, etc. Very casual, even almost vulgar
conversation. I felt very at ease, they were close, and quickly became
friendly towards me. The bill was quite expensive, but of course MIT paid.
This was monday.
Later that day Chris and the other guys showed me the
systems, and explained what each machine did, and the basic design of the
network. I noticed a rather large file server, and when i asked what it did,
Chris explained that it was his own machine. I browsed the web
rolled around and I was updating different professors homepages with a new
design template. Not too much really, i finished the job quickly. Later in the
afternoon, the manager Lisa came into our office and asked us "Do you guys
need anything?". Chris turned and said "I could use a beer." another guy said
"How about a foot massage?", i turned and said "I could use a back rub." She
laughed and returned to her office. I spent the rest of the day updaing the
website, and watching the guys messaround with the mp3 server, and the music
one guy was making with Cubase.
I had yet to fill out any working papers
as it was only my 2nd day working.
Wednesday rolled around, and the day
started as normal. Chris showed me his computer, and i noticed the 3+
terabytes of disk space it had. He casually informed me that it was a DoD
"Drop box", and that if i created a directory with the name of a software, or
mp3 title, that in the directory the next day it would appear there, almost
Later in the afternoon, the manager called me into her office,
i thought she was going to have me fill out some forms for work. Once i was in
her office, she had me sit down.
"About that joke you made yesterday..."
"Umm, which one was that..." I replied
"The one about the back
rub.... i didn't appreciate that, it was a direct insult to my authority." She
"Oh, that one.... I'm sorry, but i didn't really mean anything by it,
the other guys were joking around as well, and i didn't think anything of it.
I replied, suprised.
"Well i didn't think it was very professional, and
with the Professors and expensive equipment we have here at MIT, i expeceted a
higher level of professionalism from you." She said.
"Oh.... well you guys
all seemed to be pretty relaxed. With no dress code, and you're down-to-earth,
and friendly personalities, you all seemed like a bunch of bar-mates, and just
happen to work together. I thought my comment was right at home. I'm sorry,
but i guess i shouldn't have said that afterall." I said shocked.
i'm sorry, but i'm going to have to let you go." She said quickly.
mean i'm fired? Don't i get any warning, or second chance or anything? I
mean... i didn't really mean anything by it, it was just friendly banter. I
said be wildered.
"I'm sorry, but i feel that it upsurped my authority, and
we expect a high level of professionalism here. She said.
funny, because with the conversation at lunch on monday, the birkenstock
sandals, t-shirts, shorts, and most of all, the warez server in the other
room, i didn't really see a high level of professionalism, if any whatsoever."
"I'm sorry, my decision is final, you can leave now if you like.
Or finish out the rest of the day..." She said, and looked away.
I got paid
for the rest of the week, and left. Then I heard this story.
she'll not be working long after this, it was right under her nose. Good
managering i guess.
I'm glad i got fired.
- Another story from a purdue student:
I attend Purdue University and
i can tell for sure that there is now reason for there to be software piracy.
tell me tell you why.
Purdue University has an Agreement with Microsoft
which enable us to recive original, lisenced versions of original Microsft
Software for 5$. u can check out the detaile here>
We get all software right from Windows Xp to
office to the full 6cd pack of Visual Studio 6 for only 5 dollars.
student is entitle to a copy and there are no limitations.
Purdue's Computer society host and Ftp mirror for almost all the possible
Linux ditro's thereby not even needing us to use up extra bandwidth to
download from outside.
Very recently i belive there has even been
agreement to let the Computer Science Majors to download all of the Microsoft
software free of charge from a web server starting from even the arabic
version of Windows 3.11 up till windows Xp.
And ALL this this is being done
legally. therefore i see no reason for there to be Software piracy at Purdue
University. The article just mentions there had been raid and i think this is
just to Defame Purdue Univsity. It does not even say that any thing was
confiscated at purdue university - Just another Angry purdue Student
- A search on www.newscheck.cc reveals there were 40865 warez releases in
the last 7 months, of which only 411 were by DoD. (1% of releases)
- Halfmoon2 Has Been Busted, 32 Boxes were confiscated and so were 200+ DVD
CD's, HM2 Was affiliated with Centropy!
- A good link: here
- Centropy is not dead. at all.
- Rasiq of the brazilian group "GREDoR", was busted. He was a DVD ripper. A
lawyer is with him in Federal Police, in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Took his PC and 70
CDs. Seemed like they accuse him of cracking Windows XP
- http://www.smh.com.au/news/0112/13/national/national16.html story takes
quotes from http://www.defacto2.net/apollo-x/bandido.htm
- ievil(busted) runs the newly linked swedish efnet-server
- news @ http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-8145809.html?tag=mn_hd
- TFL says:
We would like to make something very clear. There is a
huge misunderstanding as to why we release the programs to the end user.
Basically this is why: Lots of applications cost a lot more money than
endusers can afford (some cost $50,000+). We release a FULLY functional
program for endusers to evaluate, learn, try or compare and then decide if
it's right for him/her. We do NOT release these applications for companies to
use them in a working enviroment where they would not have to buy them from
the original maker, therefore COMPLETELY misrepresenting our goal. At this
case we ENCOURAGE original makers to come to such companies and do whatever
they need to them. Moral of this is: If you use programs at work for anything
rather than evaluating BEFORE buying, you deserve to be caught!
- This is the only official site: http://184.108.40.206/~sober/ any others
- HaXoZZi0 that was catched last night by the feds, he was from TBRaS, a
releaser for the brazilian group
- According to yesterdays Boston Globe, FBI agents raided not only MIT but
also Northeastern University and The Bank of America office in Boston
(according to yesterdays Boston Globe, FBI agents raided not only MIT but also
Northeastern University and The Bank America office in Boston
- From a local newspaper .. the bust at purdue ... (lafayette,indiana) ...
one student was raided and equip taken and he was taken away by US customs
agents and the purdue university police ...
- Raftman NOT busted
- Group affils for each person listed below as well as site
- BUSTED: heckler, zielin, wizy (risciso, til), sui (tfl/wlw), hackrat
(wlw/razor/dod, california), shark (wlw/razor/dod; RatzHole siteop), thraxis
(not busted; but raided -- 700 cds and computer; risc, pgc, dod, queensland,
Australia), maverick (from skidrow, not from omega; dod council), sony,
bandido (razor, dod, risc council), eriflleh (dod council, philadelphia),
bigrar (dod, risc, boston), avec (former fts, rts, rise, former DOD council,
razor), buj (dod, Durham North Carolina), forcekill (dod, turku finland),
radsl (dod, oregon), chevelle (dallas), billyjoe (austin), ievil (razor, an
ircop, had retired already), superiso (inferno; got raided)
- SFM was fed site
- CoreDump (CDiSO CDMP3) was fed site. but dr ice (site op) not busted
- SFM and CD sites dropped out of the scene 2 days before busts for "group
- RHiSO is down (hackrat operated)
- rumor: hackrat busted 4 times
- HO is down (DOD AHQ, chevelle's site)
- FE is down
- LOF is down
- PS is down (down a few days prior to busts and should've been sitting in
the room ready to put HW into FE)
- those 3 were sitting in the economics dept. of MIT, which would be the
bigrar portion of the bust
- Razor announced blackout, pciso division perm closed
- DOD dead 100%
- sui got busted and he's from TFL. WLW now dead
- 150+ sites closed
- TRC retired
- SKR, curry group, is shutdown (ran by maverick)
- TheWretched and TheFrail (divx groups) also shutdown
- Story: 5 FBI agents came to avec's house at 9:30AM CMT with federal search
warrant. took 271 cd's. watched her computer for 2 hours.
avec's computer for a few hours monitoring #worldsites, #eusites, and
#usasites for 3 hours. all the channel sites. Her shell was
- 2 people in finland (.fi)
- 6 people in britain (.uk)
- 7 people in australia (.au)
- 2 in norway (.no)
- .se is safe at the moment
- australia was hit (bandido)
- 27 cities in 21 states (including MIT, UCLA, Purdue, Duke, and University
- Austin, Texas
- Baton Rouge
- Charlotte, N.C.
- Durham, NC
- Cocoa Beach, Fla.
- New Haven, Conn.
- New York
- Newark, N.J.
- Norfolk, Va.
- Oklahoma City
- Orlando, Fla.
- Oxnard, Calif.
- Portland, Ore.
- San Francisco
- St. Louis
- Wilmington, Del.