State University Extension
Preserving Food Safely - 01600824
1. Prepare 5 pounds of meat as described in
"Checklist for Making Venison Jerky" (1/4-inch strips).
2. Spread out meat and sprinkle on 3 tablespoons salt,
2 teaspoons ground pepper and 2 tablespoons sugar.
3. Put the meat in a pan or dish and let stand 24 hours
4. Dip strips of meat in liquid smoke 1-2 seconds for
5. Spread out meat in the top half of a kitchen oven
on a rack to dry. Open the oven door to the first or second
stop. Heat at 120 degrees Fahrenheit for 48 hours or until
the desired dryness is reached. Use an oven thermometer to
make sure the oven does not get hotter than 120 degrees
Fahrenheit. Higher temperatures result in hard, brittle
jerky that crumbles when it is eaten.