State University Extension
Preserving Food Safely - 01600588
Prepare smelt as in Brining Procedure for
10 lb. smelt (brined and cut)
1 1/2 quarts white vinegar (5% acidity)
3 1/2 cups sugar
8 bay leaves
10 whole cloves
2 teaspoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
To pack in jars:
1. Place smelt in a bowl and cover with white vinegar.
Let stand 24 hours in refrigerator.
2. In a pan, combine 1 1/2 quarts white vinegar, sugar
and spices. Bring to boil.
3. Drain fish. Add to boiling pickling solution and
simmer for 10 minutes or until fish is easily pierced with a
4. Remove fish from pickling solution and spread in
single layer in shallow pan. Refrigerate for rapid cooling.
5. Pack cold fish loosely in clean jars.
6. Add lemon slices and onion slices if desired.
7. Bring pickling solution back to a boil and pour over
8. Store in refrigerator. Use within six weeks.