1. Itha alssamao inshaqqat
1. When the sky is rent asunder,
2. Waathinat lirabbiha wahuqqat
2. And hearkens to (the Command of) its Lord, and it must needs (do so);-
3. Wa-itha al-ardu muddat
3. And when the earth is flattened out,
4. Waalqat ma feeha watakhallat
4. And casts forth what is within it and becomes (clean) empty,
5. Waathinat lirabbiha wahuqqat
5. And hearkens to (the Command of) its Lord,- and it must needs (do so);- (then will come Home the full reality).
6. Ya ayyuha al-insanu innaka kadihun ila rabbika kadhan famulaqeehi
6. O thou man! Verily thou art ever toiling on towards thy Lord- painfully toiling,- but thou shalt meet Him.
7. Faama man ootiya kitabahu biyameenihi
7. Then he who is given his Record in his right hand,
8. Fasawfa yuhasabu hisaban yaseeran
8. Soon will his account be taken by an easy reckoning,
9. Wayanqalibu ila ahlihi masrooran
9. And he will turn to his people, rejoicing!
10. Waamma man ootiya kitabahu waraa thahrihi
10. But he who is given his Record behind his back,-
11. Fasawfa yadAAoo thubooran
11. Soon will he cry for perdition,
12. Wayasla saAAeeran
12. And he will enter a Blazing Fire.
13. Innahu kana fee ahlihi masrooran
13. Truly, did he go about among his people, rejoicing!
14. Innahu thanna an lan yahoora
14. Truly, did he think that he would not have to return (to Us)!
15. Bala inna rabbahu kana bihi baseeran
15. Nay, nay! for his Lord was (ever) watchful of him!
16. Fala oqsimu bialshshafaqi
16. So I do call to witness the ruddy glow of Sunset;
17. Waallayli wama wasaqa
17. The Night and its Homing;
18. Waalqamari itha ittasaqa
18. And the Moon in her fullness:
19. Latarkabunna tabaqan AAan tabaqin
19. Ye shall surely travel from stage to stage.
20. Fama lahum la yu/minoona
20. What then is the matter with them, that they believe not?-
21. Wa-itha quri-a AAalayhimu alqur-anu la yasjudoona
21. And when the Qur'an is read to them, they fall not prostrate,
22. Bali allatheena kafaroo yukaththiboona
22. But on the contrary the Unbelievers reject (it).
23. WaAllahu aAAlamu bima yooAAoona
23. But Allah has full knowledge of what they secrete (in their breasts)
24. Fabashshirhum biAAathabin aleemin
24. So announce to them a Penalty Grievous,
25. Illa allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati lahum ajrun ghayru mamnoonin
25. Except to those who believe and work righteous deeds: For them is a Reward that will never fail.