1. Ya ayyuha almuddaththiru
1. O thou wrapped up (in the mantle)!
2. Qum faanthir
2. Arise and deliver thy warning!
3. Warabbaka fakabbir
3. And thy Lord do thou magnify!
4. Wathiyabaka fatahhir
4. And thy garments keep free from stain!
5. Waalrrujza faohjur
5. And all abomination shun!
6. Wala tamnun tastakthiru
6. Nor expect, in giving, any increase (for thyself)!
7. Walirabbika faisbir
7. But, for thy Lord's (Cause), be patient and constant!
8. Fa-itha nuqira fee alnnaqoori
8. Finally, when the Trumpet is sounded,
9. Fathalika yawma-ithin yawmun AAaseerun
9. That will be- that Day - a Day of Distress,-
10. AAala alkafireena ghayru yaseerin
10. Far from easy for those without Faith.
11. Tharnee waman khalaqtu waheedan
11. Leave Me alone, (to deal) with the (creature) whom I created (bare and) alone!-
12. WajaAAaltu lahu malan mamdoodan
12. To whom I granted resources in abundance,
13. Wabaneena shuhoodan
13. And sons to be by his side!-
14. Wamahhadtu lahu tamheedan
14. To whom I made (life) smooth and comfortable!
15. Thumma yatmaAAu an azeeda
15. Yet is he greedy-that I should add (yet more);-
16. Kalla innahu kana li-ayatina AAaneedan
16. By no means! For to Our Signs he has been refractory!
17. Saorhiquhu saAAoodan
17. Soon will I visit him with a mount of calamities!
18. Innahu fakkara waqaddara
18. For he thought and he plotted;-
19. Faqutila kayfa qaddara
19. And woe to him! How he plotted!-
20. Thumma qutila kayfa qaddara
20. Yea, Woe to him; How he plotted!-
21. Thumma nathara
21. Then he looked round;
22. Thumma AAabasa wabasara
22. Then he frowned and he scowled;
23. Thumma adbara waistakbara
23. Then he turned back and was haughty;
24. Faqala in hatha illa sihrun yu/tharu
24. Then said he: "This is nothing but magic, derived from of old;
25. In hatha illa qawlu albashari
25. "This is nothing but the word of a mortal!"
26. Saosleehi saqara
26. Soon will I cast him into Hell-Fire!
27. Wama adraka ma saqaru
27. And what will explain to thee what Hell-Fire is?
28. La tubqee wala tatharu
28. Naught doth it permit to endure, and naught doth it leave alone!-
29. Lawwahatun lilbashari
29. Darkening and changing the colour of man!
30. AAalayha tisAAata AAashara
30. Over it are Nineteen.
31. Wama jaAAalna as-haba alnnari illa mala-ikatan wama jaAAalna AAiddatahum illa fitnatan lillatheena kafaroo liyastayqina allatheena ootoo alkitaba wayazdada allatheena amanoo eemanan wala yartaba allatheena ootoo alkitaba waalmu/minoona waliyaqoola allatheena fee quloobihim maradun waalkafiroona matha arada Allahu bihatha mathalan kathalika yudillu Allahu man yashao wayahdee man yashao wama yaAAlamu junooda rabbika illa huwa wama hiya illa thikra lilbashari
31. And We have set none but angels as Guardians of the Fire; and We have fixed their number only as a trial for Unbelievers,- in order that the People of the Book may arrive at certainty, and the Believers may increase in Faith,- and that no doubts may be left for the People of the Book and the Believers, and that those in whose hearts is a disease and the Unbelievers may say, "What symbol doth Allah intend by this ?" Thus doth Allah leave to stray whom He pleaseth, and guide whom He pleaseth: and none can know the forces of thy Lord, except He and this is no other than a warning to mankind.