FIFTEEN DOLLAR BOX
**Note, this system is very simple to build. However, it does not work on all cable systems.
**It is designed for systems using old 1980ís technology. If your cable system is behind the times,
the GO FOR IT! If they have upgraded, then this will not work for you. 1980ís cable systems are characterized by a pulsating fuzzy picture and a beeping sound.
1. Remove the plastic cover from the No.12 gauge solid copper wire (if any) and twist around a
3/8" nail or drill bit (the diameter is crucial) to form a coil of 9 turns. (actually 9.5 turns to get both ends of the coil facing the same direction.) Elongate coil to a length of 1 1/2" inches and form right angle bends on each end.
2. Solder the variable capacitor to the coil. It doesn't matter where
you solder it, it still does the same job. The best place for it is in
the center with the adjustment screw facing upward. Note: When it
comes time to place coil in box, the coil must be insulated from
grounding. This can be done by crazy-gluing a piece of rubber to
the bottom of the box, and securing the coil to it.
3. Attach chassis connectors center leads to the coil at points 2 1/2 turns from
each end of the coil. Be sure to solder them straight so that they will mount straight in the box.
4. Solder resistor to center of coil and ground other end of resistor to
chassis box, using solder lug and small screw.
5. Drill a 3/8" diameter hole in mini-box cover to permit adjustment
of the variable capacitor from the outside. Inspect the device for
defects in workmanship and place cover on mini-box. Tighten
6. Place device in line with existing cable on either side of the
converter box and connect to television set with the short piece of
RG59 coaxial cable. Set television set to HBO channel.
7. Using a plastic screwdriver (non-metallic) adjust the variable
capacitor until picture tunes in. Sit back, relax, and enjoy! ****ALSO: YOU MAY HAVE TO
EXPAND AND CONTRACT THE COIL TO GET A CLEAN PICTURE.
8. Do not be discouraged if you can not get a clean channel. In different areas HBO may be on a different channel. This device will Descrambler one of your pay channels! *
WHILE IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL TO SELL, BUILD, AND OWN A CABLE DESCRAMBLER,
IT IS ILLEGAL TO USE A DESCRAMBLER UNLESS YOU ARE PAYING YOUR LOCAL CABLE PROVIDER FOR THE CHANNEL YOU ARE DESCRAMBLING!!!!!!!!!!
I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYONE THAT IS PROSECUTED FOR ILLEGAL USE OF THE DEVICE THESE PLANS ARE DESIGNED TO CREATE!
1 - Radio Shack mini-box (RS #270-235) "numbers in brackets are RADIOSHACK part
1 - 1/4 watt resistor, 2.2k-2.4k ohm (RS #271-1325)
2 - F61a chassis-type coaxial connectors (RS #278-212)
12" - No. 12 solid copper wire
1 - 75pf-100pf variable capacitor (YOU MAY USE ANY VARIABLE CAPACITOR AS LONG AS IT INCLUDES THE RANGES SPECIFIED. ((YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO GO TO YOUR LOCAL ELECTRONICS STORE FOR THIS PART. RADIOSHACK DOES NOT STOCK IT. HOWEVER THEY CAN ORDER IT FOR YOU.)) If you are unable to locate it, you may call DIGI-KEY at 1-800-344-4539. (COST is 4.88 ea.)