Extracting DMT from Phalaris, by Mescalito Ted
There are a large number of plants from around the world that contain DMT and other similar alkaloids. Some of these are several Psychotria spp., Phalaris spp., Acacia spp., Arundo donax, Desmanthus illinoiensis, etc. The plant we will be dealing with in this text is called Phalaris aruninacea. This plant is easy to obtain, looks almost identical to common lawn grass, has some of the highest concentrations of DMT, and is beyond easy to grow.
Phalaris arundinacea is available from MANY mail-order companies. Here is a list of addresses and prices.. (These are spring 1995 prices) Do not be stupid with these companies inquiring about drugs, etc... These are (semi)legitimate businesses.
...of the jungle
Ok, there are many more companies, but these are really all you need to know about. Make sure when ever you order a product from these companies you say your were referred by Mescalito Ted. Also, throw in about 5 extra dollars for any of the above compaines for shipping. I recommend purchasing the P. aquatica seeds from ...of the jungle. This is a newly discovered plant and has much potential. I would also suggest growing the plant yourself as opposed to buying the live plant. It is extremely easy to grow, and you save a lot of money.
P. arundinacae is a highly evasive grass that spreads through runners on the surface. The seeds work best if grown in a sterilized potting soild mixture, and sown in a large flat vat, or pan. Of course you can grow it in pots, but there is not as much surface area. The seeds are sown approx. 1/8" under the soil and around 1/2" away from each other. Give them plenty of light, and water them daily. You will see them sprout in less then 4-5 days. They will be tall enough to pick in about 2-3 weeks.
There are a lot of facts about DMT you should know about if you don't already. Before trying it, do some reading on the effects... DMT flashes can become extremely intense, and could literally quickly clear your bowels if you are not mentally prepared. DMT is not normally orally active. But, through the use of monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI's), it can become active by drinking or eating. A mixture of a MAOI and Dimethyltryptamine is called Ayahuasca. This text will be dealing with smokable DMT, so don't worry about MAOI's right now.
As far as I know, the whole idea of smokable DMT from plants is a very new area of exploration. (At least using methods that we can all handle in our household lab... AKA - Kitchen, heh.) James Dekorne (author of the 'Psychedelic Shamanism' and other books. He his also the compiler and distributor of the Entheogen Review) discovered the methods that will be discussed below. Here is an excerpt from his book.
Psychedelic Shamanism - Chapter 11
An extremely potent smokable form of DMT can be extracted from the reed canary grass (Phalaris arundinacae). I made this discovery more than a month after the manuscript of this book was completed and sent to the publisher. Therefore I offer this added chapter as something totally new. To the best of my knowledge this information has never been published in a book before, though I make no claim that I am the first person to discover it.
Like many such discoveries, this one was almost an accident. I had two crushed capsules of Phalaris concentrate which I wanted to salvage as an ayahuasca admixture. I placed the material in a shot glass full of alcohol in order to redissolve the extract. After removing the cracked shards of gelatin, I set the glass aside and forgot about it. Of course, the alcohol soon evaporated, leaving behind a gummy tar. This lay around for a period of two weeks. At one point I was about to throw it out, then on a sudden whim wondered what would happed if I smoked the stuff.
Accordingly, I redissolved the tar in alcohol and added a pinch of oregano as an inert smoking medium. The alcohol was allowed to evaporate, leaving a very small amount (est. 250 mg) of Phalaris-soaked material. This sat around for several days - I had no real expectation that the mixture would be smokably psychoactive. (If it were, I'd have already heard about it, right?) Imagine my surprise when, in a very casual set and setting (the bedroom, early afternoon), I took one inhalation of this essense and found my mind immediately blasted into a cerebral hurricane of rapidly pulsing white light. Fortunately, I already knew what a DMT flash is like, so I was not totally taken by surprise. The following entries from my journal tell the unfolding story.
Journal entry 10/1/93
This goes on to talk about some other experiences on DMT... Check out the book if you are interested. - Mescalito Ted
1. Pulverize the grass cuttings as much as you can. You must do this to rupture the cellular structure the plant. A good way is to put the plant material in the freezer overnight, remove the next day, thaw it, put it in the freezer again, and then remove and thaw it again. After two or three such cycles it will usually be mushy and easily minced in a blender. Place the phalaris in the blender when it is frozed and the blender will chop it easier.
2. Next add enough water to the mulch to make a pourable soup.
3. Now you must add an acid. Just enough to bring the PH down to about 5. You can use white vinegar, lemon juice, or acetic acid. Check the PH with PH paper, it is usually sold at most drug stores. The acid reacts with the alkaloids in the plant material and converts them into a salt. A good way to facilitate this reaction is to simmer the acidified soup in a slow cooker overnight; leave the lid on, as we don't want any liquid to evaporate.
4. Strain the plant matter through cheesecloth, then through a paper coffee filter. The bulk roughage may now be discarded because the alkaloids we seek have migrated into the aqueous solution.
5. Add a small percentage of a defatting solvent such as methylene chloride, ether, chloroform, or naphtha. Naptha is easily available in the form of Coleman fuel or lighter fluid. The reason we do this procedure is to remove the oils and fats which are in the solution - they will migrate into the solvent. Shake up the mixture and put it aside long enough to seperate into two layers, one aqueous, the other solvent. If you've ever made vinegar and oil salad dressing then you've seen this done.
6. A separatory funnel is useful for this next operation. This is a simple lab tool consisting of a tapered glass container with a tap at the bottom and a stoppered opening at the top. The two liquids are poured in the top (the bottom faucet is closed, of course); The container is corked and shaken about to mix its contents. It is then set aside until the fluids seperate into 2 layers. Then a tap is opened to allow the lower stratum to drain into a container. Just before the descending upper fraction reaches the faucet, it is closed off. You can also do the above separation procedure with a turkey baster :) Discard the solvent (along with the unwanted oils and fats) and now the remaining aqueous solution contains the alkaloids.
7. The next step is to add a base to our solution. One often used in extraction formulas is ammonium hydroxide, a liquid. If this is unobtainable you can substitute regular lye crystals. This is sold as drain cleaner and is also called sodium hydroxide. Dissolve this in water to a high concentration. This fluid is added in small increments to the aqueous solution, shaking the mixture each time, then testing it until eventually the pH reaches 9 or 10. Be patient. It usually takes a while to get it just right. Now you have 'unhooked' the salt and transformed the alkaloids into their freebase form. They are now no longer a salt, and hence no longer soluble in water... So now the are accessable to extraction by one of the organic solvents mentioned above. Using coleman starting fuel is best and easy to obtain.
8. A ratio of 10 percent of the aqueous solution should be enough solvent for each extraction. The easiest way to estimate this is to visualize where the 10% line is on your container of aqueous solution, then add that amount of solvent to the whole, increasing the volume to 110% (A super accurate measurement is not necessary) The container must be kept closed tightly so that the solvent won't evaporate from the solution.
9. Four extractions are made to make SURE that all of the alkaloids are removed. These are done at one 24-hour, and then at three weekly intervals. The solvent layer will soon take on a darker tint, usually yellowish or reddish-brown. This indicates the presence of alkaloids as they slowly move out of the aqueous solution. It will take almost a month to get most of them, and the mixture should be shaken at least twice a day to ensure that all of the alkaloid molecules come into contact with the solvent. At each weekly extraction carefully separate this from the aqueous solution by either of the methods mentioned above. Save these solvent fractions and combine them in one container. each time add fresh solvent to the aqueous solution until the extraction series is complete.
10. The last step is to pour the combined solvent fractions into a shallow baking dish or pan and allow it all to evaporate in an open space free from flame or sparks. The residue remaining after the evaporation contains the alkaloids, and may be put into gelatin capsules. If it is unduly gummy, one may add small amounts of ordinary flour to the gum until it thickens.
Ok, well that's about it for now. Remember to not smoke more than 25 mg your first time. You can gradually raise the dose over time as you become more experienced.