|By Joe Mamma (Madscientist) on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 06:12 pm:|
I have had problems with germination for some time now. I have had about six failed attempts. They just never seem to germinate and after ten days or so they start to smell funny. I use the BRF tek, I PC them and I use a glove box when shooting. All spores come from the same honey water. I have had success in the past. I think that I have narrowed down the problem, somewhat. I have read through the post and have foud some additives to the substrate that could help with my growing. I added honey water( teaspoon full to the water in my mixture of BRF), and soy flour. I think that it may have been the honey. I think that the honey I used might have had perservatives in it. It does not say anything about being organic on the bottle. I finally made a good old faithful straight BRF cake and in seven days I have 60% colonization. Does anyone think that it was the non-organic honey that doomed me? I use a glove box and I am very sterile when shooting. Secondly, is there really anything to gain from using additives in my substrate?
|By Nan (Nanook) on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 06:34 pm:|
First off... Additives are not for people who are having problems, leave the additives to those who are _looking_ for problems
When you start having contam and/or growth problems the first thing you should do is simplify your tek, not complicate it.
You say a straight PF jar took inoculum and grew fine... Then go back to the straight PF jar tek and be happy
Is there anything to be gained from additives? Depends on the grower and the Tek they are using. Right here, right now, it does not sound to me like additives are for you.
|By Joe Mamma (Madscientist) on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 06:51 pm:|
Thanks for the info and I think you advice is excellent. It did work for me with the simple BRF tek. But I am a Mad Scientist. I have read many different things online that will speed up the growth rate and make the trippy effects much clearer. I figure that if it works for others than it should work for me. So I experiment and I fail. I just don't understand why I have such failure. I differently will go with old faithful for a guarantee but I need a little spice in my shroom cultivating. Do you think the honey had anything to do with it?
|By Nan (Nanook) on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 07:01 pm:|
Well if you are thinking the honey has preservatives that is causing the problems, the answer no. I have been interested in bees (and have followed bee-keeping) for years (I brew 25 gallons of pure honey Mead every year). They do not put preservatives in honey.
My guess is that it's the Honey & Soy Flour, anything over a level tablespoon of soy flour in a jar will cause problems, especially if combined with another additive. Honey as an additive in addition to BRF frequently causes failed germination all by itself. It's too rich.
If you want to use additives, try Manure Water for wetting your substrate
I have had several reports of people using honey as an additive to substrate and the jars have failed. Don't listen to newbie chatter about honey mixed with PF substrate, it's problems.
|By Brad (Raze) on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 06:25 am:|
I made up 5 jars today, and in with my water, I decided to mix in 1tsp of dextrose. I thought some extra nutrients might help. Will there be any negative side effects to this?
I havent innoculated, so if it is somehow disasterous I can always dump these
|By SYDYSTYK (Addict) on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 06:55 am:|
just try not to carmelize the dextrose by overcooking
|By Nan (Nanook) on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 07:00 am:|
Dextrose, Maltose, Honey are "Hot". You can use a tiny bit, but you already have a nutrient base in BRF... Boosting a little is OK, boost too much and you will have problems.
As a general rule I do not use sugars as a jar additive. Try a tablespoon or two of Worm Castings, a teaspoon of Bee Pollen, or tablespoon or two of Compost. (use additives one at a time, not in combinations).
You will find it works better.
Remember you have to sterilize in a pressure cooker because these additives are
"dirty" (contain hard to kill endospore contams). 30-45 mins pc time with these
additives depending on whether they are pre-cooked before mixing.
Usually, if you only take your liquid culture out a few days and thrash the Liquid Culture with the needle tip you will get a plenty hot inoculation point as there will be residual sugars in the inoculant. And freshly macerated mycelium, and a change of substrate. Plenty Hot
Works for me...