|By Eatyualive (Eatyualive) on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 05:56 am:|
Ok i followed the 9er Tek Method to grow jars with whole grain brown rice. i didn't have much luck with large fruits using this method. however, i tried it with a flatcake. now the first flush was ok. but here are pics of the 2nd flush after dunking. the mushrooms are small but many in number and seem to blue much darker than the others of this tex strain. all the mushies on the cake are from the same flush and the last pic are a few i picked earlier today. same methods for jar prep via 9er tek, verm added during 2nd flush on bottom only.
|By quote: (Quote) on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 02:43 pm:|
interesting, as always.
do you think the addition of the verm. improved fruiting any ?
|By nuecrew (Nue) on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 07:38 pm:|
These are some Hawaiians ala flatcake. PF substrate from 1/2 pints. Cased top and bottom with oven sterilized, water moistened vermiculite. I used 12 1/2pints for this one cake. I've found these sandwich tray covers to be just right for one large flatcake. I tried the idea someone suggested here about using a gasket as you can see. It's so much fun watching those shrooms just explode from the flatcake. I measured the grow at their halfway point and they grew 1 1/4" in four hours!
|By ion ewe (Ion) on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 08:03 pm:|
Nue, you make some beautiful pictures. May I ask what camera you use? Not that it is the sole reason they're so great, I'm just looking to purchase one. You too, Eat. Although I think your camera's shutter is too slow (or your just too excited to hold still!).
And, Eat, those are more TX-like (natural looking) than any other fruits I've seen cultivated on BR. Chunky, dense, and warbly! Way to go!
|By Chronic007 (Chronic007) on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 11:00 pm:|
Eatyualive: I can't seem to have any luck with the 9'er tek. My second batch just went the way of the soggy substrate. I know this is the normal error in using whole grains but I feel as if I've followed the instructions perfectly. Since this was my second try I made sure the rice was a bit on the dry side and inoculated each half pint jar with only 1/2cc of mecylium water. The jars look fine after preasure cooking, after inoculation and even after a few days.....but then mush! The only two things that a can figure could be wrong now is the rice and or the lids. 9'er tek specifies long rice and my bag doesn't say anything....what is the difference between long and short rice? The 9'er tek also says to use your favorite lid configuration so I've been using PF lids with four taped holes(no air exchange) while in the pics he uses polyfil and a lid ring. What do you use? Any advice? Thanks, and the pics look great!
Take care and be safe
|By plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420) on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 11:11 pm:|
i have heard that short grained rice mushes pretty bad... maybe see if you can find long-grained brown rice and try that
|By Eatyualive (Eatyualive) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:16 pm:|
i used short grain and didn't have any problems. i also undercooked my rice another time and ended up with mush. you really do want it on the dryer side and you should be ok.
|By nuecrew (Nue) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:44 pm:|
I could be wrong but from the smell of all my "mushes" bacteria was the culprit not water.
|By Eatyualive (Eatyualive) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:17 pm:|
yes but too much water leads to bacteria. don;t feel so bad i have some black mold in my mushed 9er tek jars that will be joining its buddies in the trash later this evening.
|By Nan (Nanook) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:45 pm:|
Humm... I get this once in awhile, but it's not a problem here really. I use polyfil lids and shoot quarts with 5-6 cc's inoculum. I like the rice a tad dry, and the grain size makes no difference as long as it is not packed into the jars. The cooked rice should be very loose, I work the needle around, sqirt and roll for good coverage making sure inoculum reaches the bottoms of the jars.
With the rice cooked on the dry side I find the inoculum is absorbed without leaving excess surface liquid in 24-72 hours. It is replaced by mycelial growth within 2-3 days (which is much harder to see initially on this substrate than a PF jar).