Waterproofing spray

Nan's NookArchives : Grow Chambers : Projects : New Tek : Waterproofing spray
  Subtopic Posts Updated Creator

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 08:23 pm:

Does anyone here have any experience with a waterproofing spray? Would it work to spray the area below the perlite with that stuff if leakage was a potential problem or would it just make a mess? I just don't know what the stuff is like. Thanks!

By Dr. Cubensis (Shroomzilla) on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 08:44 pm:

Hey tam man

you can get some stuff, like liquid rubber in a spray can. Stuff is great, you just peel it off when you are done with it. As long as you use it
on dry surfaces, you should be ok...

My friend used epoxy in his tank, and regretted it.... What a mess...

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 09:05 pm:


Where'd you get that liquid rubber stuff? Sounds dope!

By Dr. Cubensis (Shroomzilla) on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 09:21 pm:

Home depot 

In the paint section.

Just tell them you need something water resistant,
non toxic that will not make a mess or hold bacteria. They will hook you up 

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks for the quick reponse!

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 01:03 am:

Hey, a little bit ago you were describing a liquid rubber spray that works really well for waterproofing. You said to check out Home Depot for it, but I couldn't find anything like that. Can you tell me what it is called or anything else at all? Thanks! Several coats of polyurethane works great too

By Dr. Cubensis (Shroomzilla) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 01:10 am:

Hey tam,

What my friend actually used after the epoxy he tried failed so miserably ( to this day have traces of it in terrarium, he didn't actually use a spray.

He used a tube of silicoln rubber, the latex kind used for sealing in bathtubs, the expensive clear stuff. Not for bonding surfaces but for sealing holes and cracks...

However, the spray-on liquid rubber does exist,
and since headed to home depot this evening ( FINALLY got a clothes dryer for the house, now need some vent tubing for it  he will look into it and ask some questions. Hopefully can come up with either a name of the product, or the name of a similar product that will fullfill your needs 

will get back to ya tam man!

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 02:55 am:

Oh dude! Thanks!

By Chuck Dicey (Dirtywop) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:45 am:

I got some stuff called Mold Builder
It's straight up liquid latex. The only thing that sucks is it is like 1% ammonia and it smells pretty bad while it dries. Not sure where to get it but I hope the name helps you out.

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:49 am:


"Now you can duplicate figurines, sculptures and other items with safe, brushable latex rubber. Mold Builder will not stick to metal, clay, ceramics, plaster, wood or plasticene clay. Mold Builder molds are durable, reusable, and economical to make. The molds you make from Mold Builder can be used to cast paper, plaster, candle wax, Soap Craft Soap and ETI Clear Casting Resin."

It would have to bond to the plastic of duct tape. Thanks though!

By Maliki vision seaker (Maliki) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

Ok here goes depending on what your looking to waterproof and where , there are difrent things to use. If it is something that has a large surface area to cover go to your local car parts store. Your looking for Ruberized Undercoating for car frames and what not. Simple and spray. If your looking to seal small holes or just cracks you can also get a glue sealer at the automotive store called GOOP its in a purpuleish tube. It should be over in the same area as there rtv silocone gasket maker. Literaly the only thing this stuff wont bond is styrofoam , it melts. But glass plastic tape whatever , it bonds very well to two diffrent materials unlike most glues. Just remember to let the glues and sprays set well before puting things back in an inclosed area. Fumes can do damage ..... Hope this helps with your delima.

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 05:22 pm:


Thanks! Neither of those things will let go or make a mess when in prolonged contact with water? Also, once the coatings dry, are they somewhat flexible or hard and crisp like shellac?

By Maliki vision seaker (Maliki) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 06:44 pm:

The ruberized undrcoating stays ruber like . Ive had it on plenty of brake lines and it just gives and bends just like the ruber line . The goop gets stiff but still somewhat plyable. As far as water nope they stay perfect . The goop is used mainly by me to put body trim back on cars . As long as you let them both cure well 12 hours for the undercoating and around 24 hours is complet cure for the goop i belive but its bonded in a few minutes .

By Sarah (Comets) on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 05:54 am:

This is tangental but...

Do any of you guys know of a adhesive that will bond stone to stone. I have a small zuni carving of huge sentimental value that has broken and I'd really love to repair it.


By Hatcher (Hatcher) on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 09:28 am:

I'm a fan of a 'Goop!' too, but score it at Ace hardware. Don't know why an auto store would carry it--it come's in plumber's,(the purple tube), carpenter's, whatever color, home-improvement type varieties. But like the vision seeker says, good stuff. And not impossible to clean up either.

By ggg (Ggg) on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

Glue thread in general area.

By Maliki vision seaker (Maliki) on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 06:08 pm:

I agree Could nan move this one ? It is a problem area for alot of pepole.
The reason i said automotive was the underspray is there as well . And there are many difrent types of goop but there all the identical contents . The diffrent tubes names and colors are just a marketing ploy . If the tube say a specific use and there 10 diffrent specific use tubes now they have a big spot on shelves . More eyesight selling. Read the backs of the tubes there identical ingredients. Weather its automotive goop or carpenters goop.

By Visions (Visions) on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 04:54 am:

Sorry I don't know what use you want the rubber but I know Home Depot has a type that you would dip your item into. It's in the paint department. If you decide on a rubber try to use silicone because it is non porous and sterile meaning when you clean it contams won't be hiding in the pores. I really should know if there is a rubber that can be sprayed. I am in the ornamental restoration business and I use rubbers everyday but I haven't ever used or thought of using a rubber you can spray.

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 12:58 am:

Has anyone used any kind of rust-proofing (i.e. Rustoleum) inside a terrarium? I'm wondering what shrooms or mycelium do when they come in contact with it or if it releases anything microscopic into the air that makes shrooms or mycelium freak out. I remember reading about how shrooms can develop some kind of an abnormality after coming in contact with a petroleum product. I'm wondering if something like Rustoleum would qualify as a petroleum product that would cause that or if it's OK because it would be dried. Thanks!

By Dr. Cubensis (Shroomzilla) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 01:13 am:

LOL!! Tam man..

This time, you aren't looking for liquid rubber...
For this you need liquid plastic, believe it';s called polyurethane.... not sure tho....
As long as you seal metal ( cept stainless ) you should be fine to use it.,...

My friend has actually used some rustoleum in his large freezer chamber, just a small bit though..
So far, no troubles... Not enough to base any conclusions on anyway...

What the heck kinda frankenstien do you have planned!??!?!

By Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:03 am:

I'm thinking over that vertical tek that I mentioned a little while back. If you don't know what I'm talking about I'll post a link for ya.

The liquid rubber would be for sealing duct tape so it won't get waterlogged. Why wouldn't liquid rubber also work to seal the metal like you describe polyeurothane doing? Also, will galvanized or zinc-plated stop rust better?

By Jesseb (Jesseb) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:19 am:

Mr.Tam I don't think that I would use galvanized for anything. you can get sick from that shit so I hear. I know that galv. is used in water pipes(for the house) but I don't know if the inside is galved or not. I may be way wrong here not sure.

By Hatcher (Hatcher) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

Galvanized is poisonous when it's burned, for sure, like w/ an acetylene torch. Learned that the hardway..in the bottom of a Naval ship.

By quote: (Quote) on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

you might try marine paint, meant for boats.

By chummy (Chummy) on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

I have an idea...what if one were to take a water repellent product such as Rain guard or something or the windshield water repellers and spray it on the lid of a terrarium?...would this work to stop the dripping onto the casing surface?..

be well

By paul whisper (Soma) on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 05:04 pm:

Seems it would probably make it drip even faster...why not just add a drip shield, plexiglass, or plastic wrap work fine. soma

By Brettiejams (Brettiejams) on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 06:04 pm:

Plus, I wouldn't reccomend spraying some chemical in your terrarium.... god knows what is in that stuff.

By chummy (Chummy) on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 06:07 pm:

i agree about the chemical.It was a passing thought.

By quote: (Quote) on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

petroleum jelly, aka vasoline or even antibiotic petroleum-based gels can be used to do that.