|By Pinhead (Pinhead) on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 10:45 am:|
given that liquid tek is so prone to contamination, I was trying to find a way to inject raw materials and exchange air from time to time without creating problems this is what i came up with for your consideration.
this is a pic of the rubber plunger from a syringe glued with 3m weather strip adheasive to the canning lid that has been punched with a small hole by a nail
this is a pic of the way I exchange air there is a little piece of poly in the green plastic part you cant see for filtration the other needle is for venting, i stick the syringe needle into the mediam and create bubbles so more co2 is forced out before the o2 mixs with co2 as we know co2 is weighes more because it is O2 bonded to C
i have only tried this twice so far but if you like the idea, and have the stuff laying around, try it and let's see what happens
|By Pinhead (Pinhead) on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 11:23 am:|
Oh yea I forgot, you have to PC with a hypodermic needle in the stopper for a vent, one of mine made an interesting bubble out of the glue a 19 or 23 should do, im using a 23 i think
|By Dr. Cubensis (Shroomzilla) on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 07:03 pm:|
Hey! Thats a good idea
My friend has never had a contam problem with liquid teks to date, but he will like the idea ;)
|By ion ewe (Ion) on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:04 am:|
Cool, but if you are that concerned with the liquid getting oxygen, you should check out my post about the Liquid Culture Aerator. There have been some interesting developements...
|By relic (Relic) on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 07:56 am:|
that is a good idea pinhead.
|By Pinhead (Pinhead) on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 03:56 am:|
ion , where is your post, couldn't find it, was it you that posted something about an o2 stone fo some kind ?
thanks relic, it seems to be working so far.
|By Karna (Karna) on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 12:42 am:|
From your method it appears that your jar is full to the brim or therabouts of culture liquid. This is probably why you say it is prone to contams or hard to exchange air.
If you lower the level to about half way up the jar, you will be able to solve both problems by simply leaving the jar lid loose and gently swirling the liquid around once a day (after first tightening the lid). I've used this method for ages and never really had an issue with either contams or air exchange.
However from a strictly experimental/scientific standpoint the method you have employed is certainly not without merit.