Gill Development and Spore

Nan's Nook : Archives : Spores : Spore Printing : Spore Print Questions : A Spore Print Discussion : Gill Development and Spore
  Subtopic Posts Updated Creator

By Kevin Smith (Canshroom) on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 05:19 pm: The Nook

I'm planning on using the Print & Syringe tek to make more jars, since I don't plan on storing the prints or trading. I've let a few mushrooms develop to the point where the cap has flattened, but before I noticed any spores dropping, the mushroom started to rot, so I had to abort my plan. Can you cut off the cap after it flattens or do you have to wait until the spores actually start to drop as well? I might have just not seen the spores, but I want to make sure it was necessary to wait in the first place. I was thinking that maybe once the cap flattens the gills might still not be deveoloped enough to drop the spores and that's why you have to wait until they drop before you cut off the cap. Could someone set the record straight for me? Do you have to see spores dropping before you remove the cap? If so, how long a window is there before rotting sets in? Thanks.

By plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420) on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 05:53 pm: The Nook

i don't always wait for them to completely flatten out... just as soon as i see little streaks of purple on the stem and annulus... that's when i cut 'em.. then let 'em sit for 24 hours on the foil (zip-lock baggies all the way- thanks quo).. if they are turning black and haven't dropped spores... they aren't gonna... as far as a window until they turn black... not sure... maybe about three or four days? anyhow... it shouldn't take that long after the veil breaks.. what kind of race are you working with, some are slow

By Kevin Smith (Canshroom) on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 06:33 pm: The Nook

B+ and matias mainly. What would happen if you just cut the cap off when it got flat, even if you didn't see any spores drop? That's really my question, since my caps got nice and flat, but didn't appear to drop spores before rotting.

By plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420) on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 07:34 pm: The Nook

if they aren't dropping spores, then they aren't dropping spores... there really isn't anything you can do about that.... that's kind of odd that they are flattening out and not dropping spores yet... i've never worked with either races, though... well... some say that pf race is matias, but who knows... i've worked with that one and they tend to drop spores for me before they are flat... as soon as they open up they start dropping... i guess you could try it, but you may have some sterile fruits... try and try again until you get one that works

By Kevin Smith (Canshroom) on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 07:46 pm: The Nook

Sounds good. I'm going to pay more attention with these next ones...maybe I just missed something.

By plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420) on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 08:35 pm: The Nook

it's a possibility.... you say there is NO sign of sporulation? no purplish streaks on stems or anything!? that's weird..

By Imok Urok2 (Imok) on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 03:42 am: The Nook

Hey Kevin, if you like the shrooms and can't get spores
you could try Cloning :)
Its in the Archives

By Kevin Smith (Canshroom) on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 04:08 am: The Nook

I've wondered about that too, imok...maybe I'll give it a shot...thanks.

By Liberty_Caps (Liberty_Caps) on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 04:15 am: The Nook

what would happen if you had a shroom growing and you cut off the cap, but left the stem still attached to the cake??????
would the stem die?

By jack cracker (Cptcracker) on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 04:50 am: The Nook

yeah, lib, it'll die... it won't grow a new cap so you might as well pick the whole thing.
it's also at peak potency before sporulation, why leave it?

By An guy (Boomer) on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 05:33 am: The Nook

This is something I'm fixin to deal with myself- got one huge-o monster, Indian, in a cluster. They're all still growing.

I want small and large prints, figuring on biodiversity- the small ones might do better on a different substrate, while that monster obviously likes BR.

So, I was thinking on taking the cap, it's tore the veil, but ain't spread yet. Want to wait till then, want the print.

Leave the stem, so that little cluster has some time for *those* caps to spread and start sporulating, so I can then print those caps.

Leaving the stem for a bit might give them enough time to do that, instead of getting ripped up when I pick the big one.

I know the stem will start to deliquesce, but I'm thinking there might be enough time between snappin the cap and onset of deliquescence for the smaller booms to begin sporulating.

Ain't worried about the potency dilution- if I can take the stem before it starts rotting, there aint' gonna be a whole lot of magic dilution- there won't be any added mass to the stem, as it will cease growing.

But if I leave the stem, it will start to rot at the tip, I'm guessing, so that leaves more time for the little'uns to start spittin spores...

Any bighouse myco's have any experience with this type of thing?

The Indian colony was from monkeyod, and I have to thank him. When I heard how they were being sent, I liked to stroked out, but didn't. So I counted it as good cardio workout for the day.

Hell, the whole month...;)

By Kevin Smith (Canshroom) on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 06:31 am: The Nook

I think I'm going to try Lazlo's syringe cloning tek....seems simple enough. Anyone know it?

Shroom Glossary