Print Supplies

Nan's Nook : Archives : Spores : Spore Printing : Print Supplies
  Subtopic Posts Updated Creator
More Supplies  -    
Spore print Paper  4 10/14 05:30am Mike Wallace

By Nan (Nanook) on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

Quoting Jared: "Now that I have the jars on order could somebody please tell me where I can find a glass stirrod? Like the ones that we used in Biology class in High School."

You can substitute a dull knife blade for a stirr rod in most cases. Wipe the blade with alcohol and flame the tip, works fine for scraping and stirring.

By Nuecrew (Nuecrew) on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

I've bought my 1/2 pints here on the west coast for $7.50 a 12 pack. As for the larger ones. Go to a Goodwill or the like. I've seen then overstocked with them and then none at all. I had an Albertsons order me some jars once. Took about a week.

By Bobby (Bobby) on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 02:49 pm:

At H.E.B. (grocery store in Texas) they have a 12 pack for $6. I also found them at Albertsons(another grocery store) They hide them on top of the shelves, just ask the manager and they will show you where they are.

By jared (Jared112) on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 06:37 pm:

Thanks for the help. I want the glass stirrod for spore prints and making syringes. Just like the picture at PF Syringe Tek so that I can stick it through a hole in the top of the jar.
If anybody knows of a site that sells these, please give me the url. I have checked many chemistry sites and they dont sell the glass rods.

By Bobby (Bobby) on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 07:22 pm:

Try a bar supply for the rods I know they carry plastic ones and I have seen glass before, they are called martini stirers or drink stirers.

By SYDYSTYK (Addict) on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 07:22 pm:

stater brothers grocery store carries 1/2 p. widemouth for around 7$, and ive heard of glass stirring rods at harbor freight

By onediadem (Onediadem) on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 09:11 pm:

Pier 1 imports also carry glass stir rods for drinks. There are also kitchen gourmet shops in the mall I have seen them at.
Right now is a hard time of year to find jars, with growing season almost over. I had to go everywhere, before finding 1 pint ball wide mouths, so I just settled for them. Hope I can use em, and they will work ok.

By An guy (Boomer) on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 09:50 pm:

I think as long as the mouth is as wide, or wider as the jar, it works- If you look in the jar from it's side, see if the inside wall of the jar kind of slopes 'out' from the bottom to the top. This is what makes the cakes easier to slide out. The thing to avoid is a neck- if the jar has any part that's necked down toward the top, that's going to catch the cake and you won't be able to get it out without scrunching it or cutting it or something.

I've seen Ball wide mouth half pints. The ones you saw, Jared, will likely work.

Best time to buy is in the fall- that's when stores stock them because that's when people put up their jams and other preserves- it's kind of a seasonal thing.

I was lucky- I have a stash from my jam-making time.


By jared (Jared112) on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

I found what I was looking for today at hobby lobby, It was really cheap too.
I even found some casing resin that I will use to encase the best looking shroom that I have, so that it will look like it is stuck inside a block of glass. It's kind of cool looking, they had one with a flower inside of it.

By Nuecrew (Nuecrew) on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 01:50 am:

I think the method I tried to make spore syringes has got to be one of the easiest to do. Buy a spore print from sporeworks (only cause I now know they are sterile) and inject water into the little baggie and suck the spores and water back out. Then dilute the heck out of it and you have many many syringes. Use sterile procedure and breath control at every move.

Spore print Paper : Shroom Glossary