Ramsey seal

Nan's Nook : Archives : Jars : Lids : Ramsey seal
  Subtopic Posts Updated Creator
Polyfil  -    
Simple Cubie Tek  -    

By venusfly (Venus) on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 07:37 pm:

What do you folks think of the ramsey seal?If not familiar it is like this:put piece of foil in jar and depress to the top of whatever substrate is being used,then fill with dry vermiculite,cap the jar and your done.I like it!!

By Kaijan (Kaijan) on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 07:49 pm:

absolutely useless! Don't waste your time with that.. Stick with just the dry verm layer, it does the job... Besides.. if your sterile, you don't even need that verm layer.


By quote: (Quote) on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 08:13 pm:

Ramsey Seal:

"Another way to seal the jars is a method that has come to be known as the Ramsey Seal. For each jar, cut a 6" by 6" (15cm by 15cm) square of aluminum foil. Place the square on top of the jar of substrate mix, and carefully press the middle of the foil square down into the jar until it is touching the top surface of the substrate mix. Don't press any farther or you'll compact the substrate mix. The foil will form a little "pond" in the jar, with the corners and edges of the square hanging out of the top of the jar. Fold and press these down so they are flat against the threads on the outside of the jar. Now, fill the "pond" of each jar with clean dry vermiculite, right up to the top of the jar. Use something flat, like a butter knife or a ruler to scrape off the excess. Put the jar lid and ring on, and carefully tighten the ring, making sure that you don't tear the aluminum foil pressed against the threads of the jar. Your jar is sealed and ready for sterilization."

actually, the ramsey seal is not 'pressed to the top of the substrate',
like the verm. barrier in a pf-style jar.
the ramsey seal was meant for use in pints and quarts of grain, as a filter for the hole in the lid, inches above the loose grain substrate.
most people now use filter disks or polyfil.
for pf tek, it's basically a waste of time and materials.

Shroom Glossary

By Alfred E Neuman (Aeneuman) on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 08:56 pm:

Had heard of the Ramses seal...Trojan and several other companies make a similar latex device...lol

By Sparks (Sparks) on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 07:33 pm:

I have read a couple of places on this ramsey seal and just want to make sure I am doing it the best way. After putting the substrate into the jar then place aluminum foil inside and create a pond and then put dry verm inside the pond area or just use dry verm with no foil. Thanks Sparks

By Nan (Nanook) on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 07:50 pm:

I would not use the Ramsey Seal. Go with straight PF Tek for your jars.

By jack cracker (Cptcracker) on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:20 am:

good advice nan, use the kiss principle sparks.

By quote: (Quote) on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:42 am:

like i said before,
the ramsey seal was never meant to be used for pf tek,
it's meant for quarts of grain, to substitute for a filter disk, polyfil plug, etc.

By Sparks (Sparks) on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 05:49 pm:

Thanks I went with the PF tek :)

By scilly psyman (Madcow) on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 08:31 am:

Got a growing question. This is my first time and I have been reading posts here avidly to make sure I get good results. Using half-pint jars, double-end verm casing with temps between 82-90. Got one clear case of infection I think . mold But the one that's confusing is a cake that I thought was completely colonized and has since started to die back .
infected The other jars appear fine with thick ropy growth. They have been fully colonized now for a few days but I'm waiting a week to birth so they'll be strong. One of them looks like it might be getting infected where there's some condensation on the side of the jar . bad I thought once colonized the chance of infection was low. I'd like anyone's thoughts on these pics. Also, while I wait an additional week to birth the cakes that are fully colonized, should I give them some light or keep them in the dark?

Thanks for the help,

By mr. mista (Mistabud) on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 08:43 am:

I'm no pro, but....I've never seen anyone put the foil under the lids.

Not sure about the last two, but the first one looks sick to me.

By quote: (Quote) on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 04:51 pm:

they look a little wet, but otherwise ok.

By Liberty_Caps (Liberty_Caps) on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 07:15 pm:

STP puts the foil under the lids

By mixalogist (Swilly) on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 04:57 pm:

looks ok to me just a lil wet!!!

By Brettiejams (Brettiejams) on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

Foil under the lids topped with clean verm is called a Ramsey seal.

By mr. mista (Mistabud) on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 06:27 pm:

Ahhh, I see, thanks Brettie.

Like I said, I'm no pro