Major Millet's Tek

Nan's Nook : Archives : Misc Tek & Questions : Major Millet's Tek
  Subtopic Posts Updated Creator
Worm Castings  -    

By Nan (Nanook) on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 06:00 pm:

From The Forest Floor
Cultivation Forums
Puerto P. cubs
By Major Millet
Ok, here it is folks, A detailed strain report on these great Puerto P. cubs. I will try to make my friend's tek as clear as possible, but feel free to ask questions, ill answer them the best I can.

What my friend did to kick the whole thing off was to germinate spores on 4 petris filled with MEA. As soon as germination was observed, transfers were made to peroxidated MEA.

These were allowed to colonize within about 1/8" of the edge of the pertis. Rhyzomorphic sectors were transfered to new plated of peroxidated MEA, and allowed to colonize the same as above.

The day before transfer to Grain Spawn, 1 cup of rye and 3/4 cup water was added to six jars. This was allowed to sit at room temperature, allowing all the nasties in the grain to germinate so they would be killed easily in the p. cooker. My friend recommends this procedure anytime your working with rye.

After soaking for 24 hours, plastic lids fitted with Filter Disks were put on the jars and tightend, then the jars lids were Covered with Foil in the usual manner. The jars were p. cooked @ 15 psi for 75 minutes. As soon as the jars could be handled they were removed from the cooker and shaken vigorously. These jars were allowed to cool overnite.

The next day the lids were removed from the jars and 5 ml of Peroxide was added to each one, and the lid replaced. Again the jars were shaken vigorously. The jars were allowed to stand for about an hour before transfer of colonized agar.

After the hour to let the peroxide soak in, the agar dishes were opened and placed on the corner. My friend was not worried about contams because everything has peroxide in it. My friend took a scalpel and diced the agar, three plates worth, into small cubes, really tiny. Then he added a spoon of these cubes to each jar, replaced the lids and shook them again.

These jars were placed on top of the fridg and were totally colonized in 8 days, having been shaken once at about 30-40% colonized.

Now it was time for my friend to prepare Worm Castings to be mixed with the colonized grain, making spawn that would eventually be mixed with pastuerized straw.

10 lb of worm castings were hydrated by misting until moist. Special care was taken not to turn the castings into mud. The castings were loaded into a foil turkey pan and baked in the oven for 2 hours at 155 degrees. The oven was turned off and the castings were allowed to cool overnite.

The next day the castings were removed from the oven and dumped into a medium sized rubbermaid container. The six jars of spawn were shaken to break up the grain and were dumped into the rubbermaid and mixed with the castings by hand. The lid was put on the container and it was put under my friend's bed til it was completely white.

When the worm castings/rye spawn was completely colonized it was time to pastuerize the oat hay. This is just basically straw with the grain heads still intact. A pillow case of this stuff was chopped into 3-4 inch pieces with tin snips then pastuerized in a water bath at 140-155 degrees for 2 hours. A brick wwas put on top of the pillow case to keep it submerged. After two hours the pillow case was removed and allowed to drain outside overnite.

The next day a 20 gallon clear rubbermaid, lid was clear also, was taped with duct tape, starting at the bottom and expending up 4 inches, to keep light from reaching the bulk substrate except on top. The straw was dumped into the rubbermaid, spread out by hand, then the tub od castings/rye was dumped on top of it and mixed in thoroughly. The lid was put on, and the container was covered with a sleeping bag til the substrate was completely colonized. When it was observed to be colonized, 1 bag of jiffy mix, unpastuerized, was dumped on top of the substrate and smoothed out by hand. It was misted til optimal moisture content was achieved. It was again covered with the sleeping bag til it looked like this.

[see 1st pic below]

Now came the fun part. The sleeping bag was removed and the container was fanned at least twice a day, more if my friend thought to do it.

In about 5 days there were pins.

[2nd pic]

There was no need to Mist, as the straw contained enough moisture to keep the container humid, since the lid was kept on except at Fanning time.

Pretty soon the pins got bigger.

[3rd pic]

My friend just kept on fanning and drooling, waiting for the fun guys to fill out. Normally, he would have picked when the fruitbodies looked like this

[4th pic]

but ralph had been sending him Prints for a while, and he felt like he should return the favor. Support the FRS!!

The flush was allowed to grow a bit til the shrooms were this size

[5th pic]

then they were harvested and Printed on Foil and labeled, packaged and sent to the spore guy.

Then Harvest was pretty heavy, about 87 grams dry.
I am sorry I am not more articulate, I got a d in science class in high school. This isn't quite up to snuff with the strain reports Mycofile posted at DD, but I think you get the picture.

My friend has never had many problems with contams, so he is pretty casual about sticking his hands in shit. Your mileage may vary.

Second hand info, for what its worth.
My friend used 10 lb worm castings, which is 4480 grams.
He used about 3 lb of straw, which is 1344 grams.

He harvested three flushes which weighed 870, 710, and 510 grams wet, or 209 grams dry or 7.46 ounces.

Second hand info, for what its worth.


By Nan (Nanook) on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 06:04 pm: